Small Rollers Supply a Wealth of Power
LANGENTHAL, Switzerland – Two new roller models from Ammann provide an abundance of power in compact packages.
The Ammann ARS 30 and ARS 50 Single Drum Rollers utilise advanced technology, innovative engineering and robust engines to deliver high compaction output. They are the most compact rollers in Ammann’s soil compaction product line.
The ARS 30 and ARS 50 are ideal for road construction businesses and rental fleets that need a small, durable and powerful product for success on a daily basis.
The rollers are suitable for compacting a wide range of materials and can be even more flexible given the smooth or padfoot drum options.
Due to their compaction power and manoeuvrability, the machines are a good fit for small landscaping projects, forest roads, municipal roads and walking/bicycle paths.
The ARS 30 and ARS 50 are equipped with Kubota V2403-CR-T diesel engines with EGR+DOC+DPF (without SCR) after-treatment technology. Engine power output is 43,2 kW (58 Hp). The engines meet the latest emissions standards (U.S. EPA Tier 4f / EU Stage V).
A combination of a well-balanced engine, fully hydrostatic drive system and control deliver exceptional fuel consumption of 5 litres (1,32 gallons) per hour. That efficiency and a large fuel tank of 98 litres (25,8 gallons) mean a roller need only be fuelled once every three working shifts.
Advanced engineering and years of industry expertise are behind the development of the drive system. The drums, designed and manufactured by Ammann, are high quality and extremely durable.
The ARS 30 drum has a working width of 1200mm (47,2 inches). The strong single-stage vibratory system and two different frequencies supply compaction power of 37 kN and 68kN.
The working width of the ARS 50 is 1400mm (55,1 inches) with a boosted single-stage vibratory system with two frequencies. It provides compaction power of 53 kN and 85kN. Those compaction parameters make the ARS 50 one of the most powerful, light soil compactors on the market.
A smooth drum is standard on both machines. The ARS 30 has a drum thickness of 15mm (0,6 inch), while the ARS 50 drum is 18mm (0,7 inch) thick. To improve versatility and profitability, the rollers are available with a padfoot (PD) drum (with a smooth shell kit) and a dozer blade.
Customers appreciate that the drums are designed to be maintenance-free as part of Ammann’s ECOdrop philosophy. The focus of ECOdrop is to reduce the volume of fluids required, make service points extremely accessible – and make all new products more environmentally friendly.
ECOdrop on the ARS 30 and ARS 50 offers:
- Improved fuel economy and lower fuel consumption due to available EcoMode.
- A maintenance-free vibratory system with lifetime grease bath instead of oil bath.
- A lifetime maintenance-free steering joint with bearings placed in cage storage.
- No drive gearboxes – and therefore no gear oil is needed.
The innovative no-rear-axle concept separates Ammann ARS Single Drum Rollers from the competition. Elimination of the rear axle makes the rollers more compact and enables a lower engine location that improves the centre of gravity – which provides better stability, even on slopes.
The design also improves visibility and manoeuvrability. Those factors, combined with stability, promote jobsite safety.
Also available for installation is the ACEforce system, which enables operators to easily monitor compaction progress. The Intelligent Compaction system shows the actual kB value on the display, significantly reducing the time required to achieve maximum compaction.
An optional telematics system can help monitor the machine’s position, assist with control and provide other important jobsite information. All the data can be monitored via the web.
Other key machine features include:
- The standard Twin-lock drive – Improves traction and reduces slipping of axles – fully automatic traction control system that is activated without electronic controls. The system constantly adjusts the drive performance depending on actual jobsite conditions. Torque is uniformly distributed into axles to ensure ground contact and prevent slipping of the front drum and rear wheels – and to ensure the quality of the final compacted surface.
- A new articulated joint that further boosts drive performance and stability. It also enhances manoeuvrability. The central steering joint with integrated oscillation connects key components and ensures balanced weight distribution and consistent ground contact. The hydrostatic power train and articulation joint are essentially maintenance-free.
- An operator station with a wide-opening entrance that provides unrestricted access to the spacious, quiet cab. An easy-to-reach operator seat with an adjustable armrest optimises comfort, as does the fully vibration-isolated platform. All control switches are accessible and highly visible – essential for quick operator overview.
- A dashboard that is highly durable, particularly important in open-platform models. A multi-functional control display is located on the main dashboard, making it easy for operators to monitor.
- Machine design that ensures all objects are visible to the operator beyond a 1-metre-by-1-metre area both in the front and back of the compactor.
- An engine compartment that is easily accessible, with a heavy-duty design that protects all major components during operation. All maintenance and servicing points can be reached from the ground. The compactor is equipped with external draining points for essential fluids such as engine oil or cooling liquids.